Our Commitment to You
- Being accountable
- Identifying the purposes for Personal Information collection
- Obtaining Consent
- Limiting the collection of Personal Information
- Limiting the use, disclosure and retention of Personal Information
- Keeping Personal Information accurate
- Safeguarding Personal Information
- Being open about policies and procedures
- Providing access to Personal Information
- Challenging Compliance
“iTel”, “we” or “our”:
iTel Networks Inc., including its respective partners, associates, affiliates, and subsidiaries, as they may exist from time to time.
Business Contact Information:
Means any information that is used for communicating or facilitating communication with an individual in relation to their employment, business, or profession such as the individual’s name, position name or title, work address, work telephone number, work fax number or work electronic address.
“Customer”, “you” or “your”:
Means an individual who: (a) has an account with iTel; (b) subscribes for, uses, has used, or applies to use iTel’s products and/or services; (c) corresponds with iTel; (d) is a Web Site or Applications User; and/or (d) enters a contest sponsored or administered by iT1el.
Any individual who works for, or provides labour to iTel or one of its subsidiary companies in exchange for wages or salary.
Means information about an identifiable individual.
Web Site or Application User:
Means a user of a website or application owned, controlled or managed by iTel from which iTel collects Personal Information.
Frequently Asked Questions
3.1 What type of Personal Information does iTel collect?
3.1.1 If you wish to obtain any of iTel’s products and/or services, iTel will collect information about you when you apply for any of these products and/or services. The type of information we collect varies based on the service you have requested. The Personal Information most often collected and maintained in a Customer file may include (but is not limited to) name, address for service, mailing address, phone number(s), a piece of acceptable identification, alternate contact information, banking information for payment, non-iTel email address (i.e. if you are an eBill user or if you are a iTel customer subscribing to one of our newsletters), credit card information for payment, and credit rating/score. To conduct credit checks, we will collect one or more of the following: driver’s license number, Social Insurance Number, credit card number and/or date of birth. If we need to know about your credit history we may also receive information from third parties.
3.1.2 The Personal Information most often collected and maintained in an Employee or applicant for employment file may include, as appropriate, (but is not limited to) Business Contact Information, home address, home phone number(s), emergency contact information, date of birth, Social Insurance Number, banking information, past employment information, resumes, reference letters, earnings information, performance reviews/letters, dependant and beneficiary information.
3.1.3 The Personal Information most often collected in relation with Web Site Users may include (but is not limited to) name, phone number, and email address.
3.2 Why does iTel collect and use Personal Information?
3.2.1 iTel collects and uses Customer’s Personal Information for the following purposes, to:3.2.1 iTel collects and uses Customer’s Personal Information for the following purposes, to:
- establish and maintain a responsible commercial relationship with you;
- for research and statistical purpose, to understand your needs as a Customer and your eligibility for products and services;
- recommend products, services and opportunities to its Customers;
- provide information to you about developments and new products;
- develop, enhance, and market products and services and/or provide products and services to its Customers;
- process billing and collection of the fees for the iTel products and services you have purchased and/or subscribe to;
- perform or order credit checks;
- deliver its products and/or services to its Customers, including providing you with the programming content corresponding to your location;
- provide customer support; and
- meet iTel’s legal and regulatory requirements.
3.2.2 iTel collects Web Site User’s Personal Information for purposes generally identified on the iTel website at the time of collection. These purposes may include to:
- send you information, updates you’ve requested, or answer your questions;
- register your participation to a contest; and
- register you in an encrypted secure zone.
3.2.3 When iTel chooses to use Personal Information for a purpose not previously identified, iTel will identify the new use. Unless such new use is required or permitted by law, in accordance with PIPEDA, the consent of the Customer, Employee or Web Site User is required before the Personal Information can be used for that new purpose.
3.3 How does iTel obtain your consent?
Consent is generally required for the collection of Personal Information and the subsequent use or disclosure of the Personal Information. Consent can be either express or implied. The form of consent sought by iTel may vary, depending upon the circumstances and the type of Personal Information. In determining the form of consent to use, iTel considers the sensitivity of the information and your reasonable expectation, so that you understand the nature, purpose, and consequences of the collection, use and/or disclosure of Personal Information. iTel generally seeks express consent when the Personal Information is likely to be considered sensitive. Implied consent is typically appropriate when the Personal Information is less sensitive.
Business Contact Information can be used by iTel without consent solely for facilitating communication between iTel and an employee, in relation to his/her employment, business, or profession.
In addition, in exceptional circumstances, as permitted by law, iTel may collect, use, and/or disclose Personal Information without a Customer’s, Employee’s or Web Site User’s knowledge or consent.
Consent may be obtained in any one of the following ways:
- an application form may be used to seek consent, collect Personal Information, and inform the Customer of the use that will be made of the Personal Information. By completing and signing the form, the Customer is giving consent to the collection and the specified uses;
- a check-off box may be used to allow the Customer to request that their names and addresses are not given to other organizations. Customers who do not check the box are assumed to consent to the transfer of their information to third parties;
- orally when information is collected over the telephone; or
- at the time, a Customer uses a product or service.
Consent may be withdrawn by Customers, Employees and Web Site Users at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and upon providing iTel reasonable notice. If you wish to withdraw your consent to certain collection, retention, use or disclosure of Personal Information, please contact iTel at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that if you refuse or withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide you with a product or service. We will explain the impact on you at the time, to help you with your decision.
3.4 When and how does iTel disclose Personal Information?
Internally, only iTel Employees with a business need to know, or whose duties reasonably so require, are granted access to Personal Information of iTel’s Customers, Web Site Users, and Employees.
3.4.1 iTel may disclose Customer’s Personal Information to:
- third parties who are acting on ITel’s behalf as our agents, suppliers, or service providers who are subject to confidentiality requirements;
- a company who will be involved in supplying the Customer with communications or communications directory-related products and/or services;
- a company or individual who is acting on iTel’s behalf for the development, enhancement, promotion, marketing, sale, or provision of any of iTel’s current products and/or services or for any new products and/or services of iTel, including authorized resellers and sales agents, etc. subject to confidentiality requirements;
- in conjunction with special offers or programs to program partners, or third-party agents responsible for administering such offers or programs. Any such disclosure is made on a confidential basis;
- an agent used by iTel to evaluate the Customer’s credit worthiness or to collect the Customer’s account;
- a credit reporting agency; and
- a third party, where the Customer has given iTel consent to such disclosure or if disclosure is permitted or required by law, in accordance with PIPEDA.
3.4.2 iTel may disclose Employees’ Personal Information to:
Disclosure of Personal Information to government organizations, including law enforcement agencies:
iTel may receive requests from government organizations, including law enforcement agencies. A team of experts individually and carefully vets these requests. iTel will only disclose Personal Information in response to these requests when permitted by law, in accordance with PIPEDA.
3.5 Who does iTel share Personal information with?
iTel does not sell Personal Information about its Customers, Employees and/or Web Site Users. iTel may share Customers’ Personal Information with its partners, associates and third-party service providers as provided in Subsection 3.4, to fulfill the purposes identified in Subsection 3.2. In such cases, the relationship with the partner, associate or third party is governed by strict confidentiality standards and policies to ensure the Customer’s Personal Information is secure and treated in accordance with PIPEDA and with the utmost care and respect.
Except as required or permitted by law, when disclosure is made to a third-party other than an iTel associate or affiliate, or a third-party service provider, the consent of the individual shall be obtained and reasonable steps shall be taken to ensure that any such third party has Personal Information privacy procedures and policies in place that are comparable to those implemented by iTel. Such third parties are provided only with such information as is necessary for the circumstances. Personal Information provided to third parties may be used only for the purpose stipulated and is subject to strict terms of confidentiality.
3.6 How does iTel safeguard your Personal Information?
The nature of the safeguards varies depending on the sensitivity of the Personal Information, the scope of the Personal Information, and the method of storage of that information. More sensitive types of Personal Information will be safeguarded by a higher level of protection.
3.7 How do I access iTel’s policies and procedures?
iTel makes available to Customers, Employees and Web Site Users specific information about its policies and procedures relating to the management of Personal Information, on our corporate and community websites.
iTel is open about its policies and procedures with respect to the management of Personal Information. Customers, Employees, and Web Site Users can inquire about ITel’s privacy policies and procedures at a minimal or at no cost and without unreasonable efforts on their part. This information is available to Customers and Web Site users by writing to iTel, to the attention of the Privacy Officer at 1850 Mission Flats Road, Kamloops, BC, V2C 1A9, and to Employees by writing to the attention of the HR Department at 1850 Mission Flats Road, Kamloops, BC, V2C 1A9.
3.8 How do I access my Personal Information?
You may access and verify your Personal Information held by iTel by submitting a request in writing to iTel’s Privacy Officer at 1850 Mission Flats Road, Kamloops, BC, V2C 1A9. A response will be mailed to the address on your account or file.
iTel will respond to a Customer’s, Employee’s, or Web Site User’s request within a reasonable period of time and at minimal or at no cost.
In certain circumstances, iTel may not be able to provide access to all the Personal Information it holds, for example, when the disclosure would reveal confidential business information; if solicitor-client privilege protects the Personal Information, or if the Personal Information was collected during an inquiry into a breach of contract or violation of a federal or provincial law.
3.9 How can I challenge compliance and offer suggestions?
iTel will investigate all complaints and respond to all questions asked by its Customers, its Employees and/or Web Site Users. If a complaint is found to be justified, iTel will respond appropriately to resolve the complaint, which may include amending its policies and procedures.
If Customers, Employees, or Web Site Users are not satisfied with iTel’s response, they may contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada, at:
Phone: (613) 995-8210
Fax: (613) 947-6850
Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
30 Victoria Street
4.0 Your Role in Protecting Your Personal Information:
iTel does its best to protect and safeguard Personal Information and we believe there are safeguards you should take as well. Do not share your Personal Information such as bank card numbers, credit card numbers, associated pin numbers or Social Insurance numbers unless you clearly understand the purpose of the request and you know with whom you are dealing. Do not keep sensitive Personal Information in your email inbox or on Webmail.
Provide iTel with one acceptable piece of identification, pin number or passphrase, that will be kept in your Customer account, so we can identify you when you call iTel. If you are asked to assign passwords to connect you to your Personal Information, you should use a combination of letters (upper and lowercases), numbers and symbols and do not use words that can be easily associated with you (example: do not use the name of a family member or pet). We also suggest you change your password regularly. If you are suspicious of any telephone, mail or email promotional campaigns or you suspect fraudulent activity, please contact us at email@example.com to verify that the campaign is a legitimate iTel activity.