iTel is different. We have a stellar team and offer products, services and essentially more freedom than traditional large carriers could ever provide. We are at the forefront of the fiber and cloud innovation in North America.
iTel is revolutionizing the way businesses connect through our services. We are a rapidly growing national carrier that has tripled in size over the last year and we’re not stopping there. Despite our expansion, we pride ourselves in maintaining a startup culture atmosphere with our close-knit team and collaborative environment – come be a part of the revolution!
Asterisk/Freeswitch VOIP Engineer
Do you live and breathe crystal clear call quality? That might be taking it a little far, but if you understand the importance of excellent VOIP and SIP systems and maybe even love designing and implementing communication platforms, then we should talk.
We are looking for an Asterisk/Freeswitch VOIP Engineer to join our growing team. This is a highly technical position with frequent customer consultation. We want awesome problem solvers with native-level English fluency to ensure our customers are receiving the top-notch support iTel is famous for.
Why should you join our team?
We’re growing and we’re excited about it. We have our sights set high and the Asterisk/Freeswitch VOIP Engineer will add to that success by mastering our communications platforms. We are all about pushing the boundaries of what is capable, and having a little fun while doing it. “Great success!” or stunning failure, either way, we are looking to create a meaningful story with each project we do. (We prefer great success on the customer side, but we definitely might have started a small electrical fire in the test lab once).
What exceptional means at iTel
The ideal candidate will be an exceptional troubleshooter and have the ability to provide excellent customer service. A big part of your job will be working with clients to investigate potential problems and issues and to figure out how we future proof against them occurring again. A knack for picking up new concepts and working in a fast-paced environment are also great assets.
What you’ll be doing
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO), you would be responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining VOIP and SIP communication systems, as a platform and directly integrated into customer solutions.
- VOIP/SIP Switching/Routing
- Exceptional troubleshooting skills (the ability to theorize, test, and confirm)
- Investigating potential problems and issues raised by customers
- Ability to work with minimal supervision while still following defined procedures
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and to work in a fast-paced, innovative environment
- Knowledge of network management concepts and basic protocols
- Knowledge of / experience with IP, Wireless or Optical Networking
- Knowledge in IP networking, familiar with networking concepts such as Routing Protocols (ie OSPF, BGP), MPLS, IP VPN, VLAN, VLL/VPLS
- Provide excellent customer service utilizing your honed interpersonal skills
- Monitor unassigned tickets, dealing with them in priority sequence
- Document customer issues, requests, and configurations
- Write technical documentation
- Troubleshoot Asterisk verbose logs
- Analyze SIP and RTP traffic at the packet level
- Configure and manage Asterisk/FreePBX from the command line
- Interact with and configure virtual networks
- Script tools as needed for support and maintenance
- Build and deploy development/unstable open source projects from source.
- Training new L1 technicians in process and procedure acting as a mentor and escalation point
- Thorough knowledge of the Linux CLI with at least LPIC-1 or RHCSA (or demonstrated equivalent knowledge)
- Extensive Asterisk/FreePBX experience
- Python or other scripting language
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Assets (“nice to have” things):
- SDN/VMWare/Virtual networking
- Used debugging tools and lab simulations to analyze problems and identify solutions
- LPIC-2, RHCE or similar
- Understanding of SS7 Signalling
Let’s talk numbers
The salary for Asterisk/Freeswitch VOIP Engineer will range between $54,700 and $73,800 depending on experience and is based on 40hr/wk. This position is based in Kamloops, BC, though for the right candidate remote work will be considered.
We have an unlimited vacation policy. Do what needs to be done, keep everything running smoothly, and you have the benefit of being able to take whatever time you need to maintain balance.
Not a VOIP Engineer, but think you might have something to add to our team? Any credential may be considered when you have a positive attitude and strong work ethic. If you want to be a part of an incredibly hard-working and ambitious team, you are in the right place.
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter explaining;
- Why do you want to be a member of the iTel team?
- Tell us about an experience that you think showcases your skills.
- An interesting fact (not necessarily about you).
- How did you find out about us?
When attaching your resume, please send it as a PDF file. Email everything to [email protected] and include the job title in the subject line. Feel free to get creative with your application, but make sure you’ve followed all of the rules mentioned here.
We look forward to hearing from you!